What's New?

Advocacy News: Endangered Property
415 W. Moreland Ave.learn more>,
sign the petition> and view a slideshow>

Announcing our First Preservation Recognition Award.
Building Owners, Neighbors, and Architects, we invite you to nominate your favorite project. more information>

Spring & Summer Walking Tours of Chestnut Hill
register now>

Our photograph collection is now available online
search it here>

New! Finding aids for our collections
search here>

CHHS is now Land Trust Accreditation Commision Accredited more>

Learn about our Native Plants Demonstration Garden more>

Naylor Photo Collection now online. more>

Historical Society events scheduled view our calendar>

 

 

Special Thanks
To Our Sponsors

Elfant Wissahickon Realtors

East River Bank

p p p p p p p p p p p p p

 

The old Valley Green Inn in the Wissahickon

FOW volunteers renovating an old shed in Andorra.

Postcard of rustic bridge at Devil's Pool

Postcard of the falls near Old Livesey House

FOW volunteers remove picnic table from Creek

Livesey Mill on the Wissahickon, c. 1920

The "Hot Dog Crisis" of 1937; FOW opposed refreshment stands in the park

FOW volunteers planting trees

FOW volunteer replacing shed roof

View of Harper's Meadow

Stereoview of mill buildings, waterfall and bridge over the Wissahickon Creek

FOW volunteers replace guard rail at Valley Green (2000)

Welcome

Chestnut Hill, located in the northwestern corner of Philadelphia, is one of the region's most beautiful and architecturally distinguished communities. Flanked by the spectacular Wissahickon Gorge and Cresheim Valley, Chestnut Hill is home to one of the best collections of 19th and early 20th-century residential buildings in the country.

Nearly every notable architect practicing in Philadelphia over the past 150+ years is represented in Chestnut Hill -- from the early Italianate Victorian designs of Samuel Sloan, to the exuberant Queen Anne buildings of the G.W. & W.D. Hewitt firm; from the ground-breaking, European influenced work of Wilson Eyre to the exquisitely designed country houses of Mellor Meigs and Howe; and from the ornate classical design of Horace Trumbauer to the early modern works of Louis I. Kahn and Robert Venturi.

The Chestnut Hill Historical Society leads the effort to protect this profound architectural heritage. Through lively programs, exhibits and tours, through the establishment of an innovative easement program and through direct intervention in the preservation of buildings, CHHS helps to keep the past alive for future generations.

The Chestnut Hill Historical Society is located in an 1870s Victorian house at the "top of the Hill" along Germantown Avenue in historic Chestnut Hill.

Photos from A Preservation Celebration 2013


From a partner:Yeakel Cemetery

 

 

 

 

Please note: The parking lot behind our building is owned by the Chestnut Hill Seventh Day Adventist Church. Visitors will be ticketed or towed. Questions? Call the Church office at 215 247-7022. We apologize for the inconvenience.

 

 

 

Join Our Mailing List
Email:
For Email Marketing you can trust
Chestnut Hill Historical Society - 8708 Germantown Ave.
Philadelphia PA 19118 - 215 247-0417 - info@chhist.org
Home - Join - Collections - Easements - Resource Center
Calendar - News - Contact - Search - Financial Information